Pages

Wednesday 7 June 2017

30 Days Wild Days 6 & 7



Day 6

Last year I took this photo of a poppy growing on a manhole cover and it inspired me to find other examples of plants growing where you wouldn't expect them to.



Yesterday, when the rain had cleared up, I went for a short walk to see how many I could find. There were so many examples that it would take a very long post to show them all, so here are just a few.
 


Some ivy on a stone wall.




Some dandelions growing in a crack in concrete.




I don't know what this is but it's growing in a stone wall.




I've looked this plant up in my wildlife books. I think it's Ivy-leaved Toadflax. It looks quite pretty and has managed to find a way to live in a crack between two walls.




Here again is the Ivy-leaved Toadflax, along with Maidenhair Spleenwort, which I've learned is a type of fern.




This is a Sow-Thistle I think. There seem to be different types, but I can't quite work out which it is from my books.




I haven't managed to identify this one.




Here is a really pretty flower. I wish it grew in my garden!




Here again is the Ivy-leaved Toadflax in a brick wall.




Ivy, which seems to be providing shelter for at least one spider. I don't know if you can see it in the photo but there's a web to the bottom right.




Finally, some weeds around a lamp post.

It always amazes me how these plants can survive in places like this. How do they manage without soil? But I suppose if there's a small space somewhere, soil can form in it and the seeds fall in and if they get water, the plants can survive wherever they are. It gives me a bit of hope that whatever we do to nature, maybe it can come back and thrive.


Day 7

Today I'm sharing a photo of my log pile.


It's made of branches that I've cut from trees that needed to trimmed back a while ago. I don't know if there's anything living in it yet, I don't want to move the branches to find out in case I disturb whatever may be there. Maybe on another day I'll take some time to stay near it and watch for movement! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.