Pages

Wednesday 21 June 2017

30 Days Wild Days 20 & 21


Day 20

I found this caterpillar on a rose yesterday. I've seen this type of caterpillar before but I'm not sure what species it is. I think it's a moth rather than a butterfly. I love to know that these creatures are living and growing in my garden, even if they eat my plants! πŸ˜‰





Day 21

Today, on the summer solstice, I saw this bee having a rest on a leaf. She's the only one to stay still long enough for me to take her photo.




A few weeks ago before 30 Days Wild began, I saw a bee in the garden which wasn't moving at all. I gave her a gentle nudge with a blade of grass and she moved her leg, so I knew she was still alive, but maybe tired. A while ago I'd read that you can help tired bees by giving them a sugar and water solution, so I mixed some up, put it on a shallow saucer and held it in front of her.

Within just a few seconds she stretched out her proboscis in search of the solution and drank quite a lot of it with breaks in between. She began to move around then and to buzz her wings, so I put her safe on a plant. When I checked later, she was gone, so I hope she had recovered and flown off.

I wish I had a photo of her, but I didn't have my camera with me and when I thought of it I was holding the saucer for her. πŸ˜ž  I'm really glad I was able to help her though. Our bees need as much help as they can get.

With just over a week of 30 Days Wild left, there's still lots of time to do Random Acts of Wildness and you can find more ideas on the website: wildlifetrusts.org/30DaysWild   πŸ˜ŠπŸ’šπŸŒΌπŸπŸŒ»πŸŒ·πŸŒ³πŸ¦πŸšπŸΎπŸπŸž 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.