Pages

Friday 7 April 2017

Some fun fungi and flowers.

A short post this week, not about textiles but I had to show you some fungi I found. It looks quite pretty.




I saw it growing on a branch on the ground and had to take a photo. I've done some research and found that it's called "Many-zoned Polypore" or "Coriolus versicolor" (which I assume is the Latin 😉 )

It's an extremely common bracket fungus (and there I was hoping I'd found something unusual 😊 ) It grows on the dead tree stumps or fallen branches of deciduous trees and forms semi-circular shapes in tiers. The upper surface is patterned with concentric rings of different colours.

I also found this, which I thought was something different:




But then I went back a while later and it had developed the concentric rings too, so it must be white and soft when it first begins to grow then turns brown and develops the rings.




The garden is doing well now that spring has arrived and all my flowers are budding. This primrose has already flowered with its cute little petals.




As you may know by now, I like using nature in my work so maybe I'll have an inspiration about how to use the colours and patterns of the fungus.

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.