Pages

Friday 10 March 2017

Howard Hodgkin

I was going to write about something else today but when I heard about the death of Howard Hodgkin, I thought I'd just show a few of his paintings.

Howard Hodgkin


I quite like Hodgkin's work, the colour is beautiful and the shapes interesting. I had photocopies of a few of his paintings in my sketchbook for inspiration while doing one project during my textile course.



Howard Hodgkin


Hodgkin was a painter and printmaker who began his work in the 1960s and became well known in the 1970s. He was inspired by the colours of India and created works that were semi-abstract using blocks of colour.

I love the blue in this one:


Howard Hodgkin


He painted memories, feelings and sensations focusing on an exploration of life and all its emotions. However, he could take years to finish a painting, saying he hated the actual process.



Howard Hodgkin


Howard Hodgkin was one of the great painters of the 20th century and was at the heart of the British art scene.

I love the colours here and the shapes at the centre:



Howard Hodgkin



Howard Hodgkin



Howard Hodgkin



Howard Hodgkin


I'd love to try to paint in a more abstract form using colours like this in an expressive way. I might give it a go soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.