Pages

Saturday 4 February 2017

Autumn Wall Hanging

I've finished my Autumn version of my Wild Nature wall hanging. You can see the Spring/Summer version here if you haven't seen it: Wild Nature

With this one, I've used the rich ambers, browns, reds and golds of autumn leaves and tree bark. I've tried to evoke the warm tones of the natural world as the year draws to a close and nature begins to prepare itself for winter with its shorter, colder days.

I began with strips of amber and brown fabric.....



.....then sewed on them with decorative machine stitching.





I printed the amber and yellow toned leaf pattern on to organza, layered it on top of the strips and stitching, then embroidered the swirls and leaves by hand.





I created a string with the same colours to hang it.




Here's a close up of my hand stitching:



I machine embroidered leaves on gold organza with brown and gold coloured thread.





Then I sewed them to the wall hanging and put it all together. Once finished, it looked like this:





I'm very pleased with the result and really like the colours. I think the leaves being different in colour to the main body provide contrast and a bit of depth.

As we've come to February and the 1st being Imbolc and the 2nd being Candlemass, hopefully Spring will be here soon. I came across this old rhyme today:

If Candlemass Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemass Day brings cloud and rain
Winter will not come again.

It was cloudy and rainy here, so fingers crossed! 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.